Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Part I

I figured that since I forgot to post last week I’d post 2 parts this week. Part I is news from 2 weeks ago and Part II will be the past week…



So far since coming to Paraguay I have been experiencing the homesick stage. I spend a lot of time alone during the day as after language school and lunch I am at home alone from around 2-6pm. After that I go to the gym for an hour with Lourdes and Camilla then I am usually alone again until I go to sleep. When I say alone, people are in the house but they are not around as they are doing their own thing and in the evenings homework is the main task. In order to combat the homesickness I asked Kelly to hang out so we were able to get out and about, which has helped tons! Kelly is my mentor Tom’s wife. She is super friendly, encouraging, and I think I would consider her a mentor even though it’s not her given title.

One of my highlights from 2 weeks ago was one of my adventures with Kelly where we went to Luque in order to pick up some crosses for a missions conference. Luque is known for filigree, I would explain but instead here’s a youtube video from Luque about filigree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcVhkq4nxo4. It was really neat to look at the different types of jewelry and learn some new words. On the street we were on there were probably 10 or more jewelry stores selling the same thing. Apparently in Paraguay many towns are known for making one thing and so everyone makes and sells it. It was interesting as I do not know how they don’t take each other out of business but they are all still there. We also took the bus there and back which is always a interesting experience. We have learned that it’s best to ask at least 2 people to see if they have the same response before hopping on a bus, and I would say just trust your instinct even when someone says they know a different way to get there haha! Each bus in Paraguay is privately owned so it’s interesting as even if you ride 1 block and get off because someone told you to take the wrong bus you are charged the same as riding that one bus all day. Then when you find the right bus you have to pay them the same amount as the wrong bus. It’s one fee for every bus and it expires as soon as you walk off.

Some other highlights from 2 weeks ago was that we had a couple birthday parties that I got to go to. A 6 year old girl from the church came over last Saturday for her birthday as her parents are missionaries from Columbia so we are their family in Paraguay. At the same time Camilla had about 15 friends come over and we had a BBQ! It was my first Paraguayan BBQ and it was incredible. Meat in Paraguay is cheap so we have it every lunch and suppers if we eat supper (suppers here are at 8pm and right after the gym so usually we opt for apples). That evening our fitness instructor came over and we had a little birthday cake for her too. She is from Brazil and has no family here in Paraguay either so she is part of our family too.

Last Sunday was extremely special for me as every time people come to the house they always get me to play the piano and sing, so when we had the 6 year old’s birthday party they got me to sing and play and the missionary asked me to sing in church. I agreed so at church I did special music. Then, after the singing portion of the service, the kids are dismissed for discussion groups. I have been going in with the youth group whose ages are around 15-17. After the lesson I was asked to pray for them, which I did in English. For me, this was a significant Sunday as I was hoping for an opportunity to share and be part of the congregation. Its hard to show people that you care and want to share in the community, especially at church where you only see the people once or twice a week plus you speak English and very little Spanish. For me, this was a perfect opportunity to show that I care. For my connections with the youth I think it was significant too as I am the “new” girl who is exciting because I’m from Canada, speak English, and am white with green eyes. There are many common interests that we have been able to share but I hadn’t had the opportunity to show my interest and passion for Christ and the church until last Sunday. I felt so blessed.

Please pray for:
1. Less homesickness- that I can concentrate on being “here” and really engaged with the people and the culture.
2. Deepened relationships- that I would be able to develop great relationships with the youth, in particular my sister Camilla and cousin Katherine along with some other MK’s that I have been able to hang out with (even play volleyball with!)
3. More of Christ- my desire is that God will come first in my life and ministry but as I am noticing there are many distractions- even homesickness- that can so easily distract me. Please pray for a continued desire to focus on the One who has brought me here.

Daneille

No comments: