Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I Made It!


G'Day Mate,
Well I have made it to AUstralia after the 3 different flights and 2 different stop overs and 13 hours of complete flying into Brisbane (not counting the other flights to Vancover and Los Angeles). It wasn't actually as bad as I thought it would be. It was so nice to have Dannell travelling with me from Lloydminister. We have actually been hanging out and sitting with eachother during our meetings. Well once we got into Brisbane we ran to the showers. We had left minus 37 to plus 30 in Australia. It is so humid here but its great. It has been quite the experience already. So getting used to the heat has been a adventure in itself. So far we have 10 other girls who are on the same Beach 2 Bush program and around 7 guys however a few more have showed up. In total with the leaders I do believe there is around 23 of us. Most of us are from Canada but we have some from Germany, Norway, Belgium, and Switzerland. So its been great getting to meet everyone and attempt to understand some accents even the British and American ones. So far we have had a orientation and then a lot of meals. Here in Australia they have Breakfast then tea time then lunch then supper. So it feels like you're always eating. It is such a nice laid back atmosphere though. You never feel rushed! We are placed into 4 dorms. 2 of which are the mens and 2 are the womens dorms. Then out of those 2, 1 is for the Beach 2 Bush students (which is what I am) and the other is for the Frontiers. The Frontiers has only 10 students and they are on the base for majority of their time here. The first day we played some games and got to know eachother. Then at night we had a worship service and then we went to our dorms. Today we have had more orientation and meetings about how the school runs. We are actually planning a camping trip to the Sunshine Coast near Brisbane for this weekend. So we are leaving in about a hour and a half for the weekend. Its our big bonding time where we seperate from the Frontiers to meet each other. Today we ran over all of the deadly animals here in Australia which was...well...not so comforting. Australia is the home to 9/10 of the most deadly snakes. Not to mention their poisonous spiders, frogs, and their swooping magpies which have been a problem. We were told that when walking to the mall we are to have a stick in our hands and to wave it in the air while we are walking. Apparently a few people have had blood drawn because of them. So far I have seen 2 gecko's, 1 possom, and 1 praying mantis. So I am on a role already. It was funny because when I was trying to go to bed their were 2 gecko's chasing eachother on the ceiling and I wasn't actually scared. I was incredibly tired so that probably had a lot to do with it. Well thankfully I got rid of my brutal cold that I had gotten. On the way down to Australia I had a kleenex attached to my nose, but now on the 3rd day I am feeling great. I hope that I will continue to fully get better, but at least now I am just a bit stuffy. Thanks once again for giving me this opportunity. So far I have been a bit homesick but I am sure that once we start our classes and go on this camping trip this weekend it will be a lot better. Thanks once again!
Daneille Dirk

No comments: