Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Heart of South America

The message below is one that I posted on the Kaleo blog on April 27th, 2011 to update them on what's new in my life, I thought I'd post it on here as well. Since I posted the following update, I have just sent my visa applications to the Embassy of Paraguay in Canada as my flights have finally been confirmed! I will be leaving June 2, 2011 and arriving back in Canada on my birthday, February 11, 2012. My vaccinations are almost finished and praise God I have received almost 1/3 of the much needed financial support for onSite! Thank-you so much for your prayers and support!


Hello Kaleo,

I hope all of you are doing good now that exams are over and summer is about to begin! I know I'm feeling so much better now that school is done and my onSite location has been finalized!!! For those who don't know what I'm talking about, this June I am headed to Paraguay, known as "the heart of South America," for 8 months on an internship called onSite.

As part of my Intercultural Studies; Bachelor in Ministry degree, for the 8 months I am going to live with a long-term missionary family, learn about Paraguayan history and culture, and hopefully become fluent in Spanish as I teach at a elementary School run by SIM (Serving in Mission). Even though it is a Christian school, 90% of the kids come from non-Christian families, so this is a great opportunity to serve in one of the most corrupt countries in South America. I am excited for the opportunity to build into the lives of the next generation of Paraguayans. After 6 weeks of language training, my main task will be to teach English for two hours a day then work one-on-one with kids who are struggling with their studies. The main reason parents send their kids to this school is for the high level of education and the hour-long English lesson the kids receive daily from a native English speaker. (The picture I posted is of the grade 7's who are most likely my future students.) After the semester is finished in December, I will be venturing out into rural Paraguay for two months to see other SIM ministries and help them out.

For those who were at Bcrest on reading break, I had planned on going to India for onSite but due to many closed doors and one opened door, Paraguay is the destination. Even though it wasn't the "limited access" nation I was expecting, I'm excited to work in a place with little evangelical presence. 90% of the population are Catholic and their religion is influenced by superstition and ancient Guarani deities. In response, SIM has been church-planting in Paraguay so in addition to helping out at the school, I will also have the opportunity to help out with the local church plant! The city I am going to is Villarrica, which is a university city 2 hours away from the capital, Asuncion.

So, now that you're updated on my life, I am in desperate need of prayer. I am super excited about this but I am also nervous. I fell in love with India and I often wonder if I will be able to fall in love with Paraguay just as much. Please pray that God would begin to create a love in me for the people and culture; that I would see them through his eyes. Also, please pray that I would rely on him alone. This whole process has been a learning experience in teaching me how to trust in him. I was supposed to know where I was going in January but I just found out a few weeks ago so it has been a rough ride. I admittedly got quite stressed in wanting to get things done without realizing He's the one in charge. Please pray that I would surrender all I am and have to him and that he would be the source and purpose for this internship. I want to fall in love with Jesus again. It's been a rough two years at school spiritually, and I am asking that you would pray that I would be reminded of why I came to Ambrose in the first place. As far as the practicalities go, before I leave I need a visa and finances. onSite is in addition to tuition and even though I have worked and received good scholarships, the cost remaining is going to be about $9,500. Since it was only confirmed a couple days ago and my support letters were only approved last night, I just sent out prayer cards and support letters today so I have been quite anxious about it. Please pray that I would learn to trust in God for this and be at peace no matter how much or little comes in.

I think that just about covers it. Some of you will be receiving my prayer card/support letter with a photo of me to put on your fridge or dresser with prayer requests on the back. I do not have everyone's address so if you're interested in a prayer picture/support letter let me know. I know most of us are broke students or broke working people but if you would like to make a one-time donation or a monthly pledge let me know, there are many ways to donate (phone, internet, or mail by credit card or cheque). Also, I am gathering a prayer team committed to pray for me 3 times a week. I'll be giving updates on my blog but for the prayer team I'll be sending more in-depth prayer requests not mentioned publicly online (haha), let me know if you want in.

Thanks for making it this far in the post! I love and miss you all, hope you have a sweet summer!
Daneille

No comments: